Wednesday, June 11, 2008

High Winds, No Rush

I flew until 1am last night, but when I got back I had a voice mail from the team.  It turns out they were really pressing ahead and planned on going for the summit yesterday (Tues).  They ended up staying at the 17,000ft camp due to strong winds on the high part of the mountain.  So, today, Wed the 11th, as scheduled, they will be pressing for the summit.  If the weather holds and the winds aren't too high, I hope to get a call from them this afternoon.

It's actually a good thing the strong winds kept them in their high camp, as we would have missed out on a great F-22 Raptor flyby that I've been working on for the past week.  The 90th Fighter Squadron out of Anchorage is doing training today that would have one of their jets near the mountain, so if Mark and the team can pass the word via sat-phone, we'll have two awesome shows of Air Force pride and strength!  I'm really hoping we get some sort of photo as well!

That's it for now- I'm off to work.  We've got the local ABC station coming by my office here in FL to do a piece on the USAF 7 Summits Challenge, so I hope that helps to generate more coverage of this great program.  As always, if any of you have contacts with the media we could use, please let us know!  

--Rob Marshall--
Climb High, Fly Low

No comments: